Many communities in South Africa are still living without water, which is an essential requirement for basic living. The Team at the Hollywood Foundation recognises this, and wanted to do their bit to empower communities this Mandela Day. The Hollywood Foundation was proud to celebrate Nelson Mandela Day this year through the launch of the #BarrowsOfPower initiative. The campaign, worth R1 million, focusses on sanitation and will ensure that communities across the country are able to collect and store clean water.
The #BarrowsOfPower campaign is a one-year commitment, and a total of 67 barrows will be distributed to each of the nine provinces in the country, from 18 July 2022 to 18 July 2023.
In line with the Nelson Mandela Day goal of Sanitation and incorporating the 2022 theme of “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”, the water barrows will enable people in various communities to transport water easily and keep the water sealed and hygienic.
- To kick-off the #BarrowsOfPower campaign, water barrows were handed over during launch events in KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo and Western Cape.
- In KwaZulu-Natal, the water barrows were rolled-out in Bhambayi, Inanda, in partnership with GOLDCO.
- In Limpopo, the water barrows were handed over in Freedom Park, Musina
- In the Western Cape, the water barrows were handed over to Zusakhe Non-Profit Organisation.
- The barrows were also rolled out in other regions, and many of the branches participated in various community based projects, such as assisting at soup kitchens and vegetable gardens.
The campaign, worth R1 million, focusses on sanitation and will ensure that communities across South Africa are able to collect and store clean water through barrows of hope.